Friday, October 23, 2009

Food Photos Crack Her Up


I got brave today, my second day in England. I walked around the Retail Center, shopped at ASDA, a large grocery store. I picked up some biscuits and tea for my room. I also spotted a bus stop. A few hours later, after a bit of research online, I boarded a bus at that stop and traveled to the Basildon Town Center. I am so glad I did! I was able to accomplish several things by making the trip. First of all, it’s FUN. There’s an open market, all kinds of little cafes and eateries. I also found MY new bank and was able to make a deposit. Then, I spotted a realtor and went in to talk with someone about an apartment. I now have an appointment to view an apartment on Sunday! It’s a one bedroom flat for only 475 GBP per month and about 30 GBP for electricity per month as well. It is in an apartment building, not my first choice, but I do not want to spend another week in the hotel, given it’s cost. It’s costing me nearly as much for a week’s stay as the flat is for a month.

I also enjoyed browsing briefly in Marks and Spencers, about which I have been very curious. It’s quite similar to Bon Ton back in NY.

What a difference it makes to not feel isolated! Glad I got on that bus. The roundtrip fare was 3.10 GBP - very reasonable.

I got my lunch at the Town Centre - fish and chips. It was good! I did not know that you can choose what kind of fish you want at some fish and chips places - haddock, cod and a few varieties I had not heard of before. A man working there asked me if I was from Canada. He has a hobby of guessing where people are from by their accents. We had a nice conversation.

Walking around the pedestrian mall, a salesman asked me who pays my electricity bill. I told him I didn't know. He looked confused. I relieved his confusion and told him I lived in a hotel. He smiled and thanked me and moved on. It was a chuckle.

So I accomplished alot today. Found the shops nearby, got some food, rode the bus, made change in GBP, found my bank and arranged an appointment to look at a flat on Sunday. I also checked a few things off my "got to do" list: visited Marks and Spencer and ate fish & chips. I also sent a picture of the fish & chips to my sister Sandy, who is very amused by my habit of photographing food. She says it cracks her up. I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Sounds like a full day! Good luck with the apartment viewing :)

Lynn Smith said...

Great blogs...you must try the pork pies. My Dad loves them and I have shipped them to him a few times from an English Store in Florida. English chocolate is the best...I love the Toffee Crisp and Aero Bars and chocolate buttons from there. Always had my aunts bring me candy when they visited the States. Enjoy yourself and have some English fun! Good Luck finding an apartment....take care.

Blog Archive